Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The length of time for which a person is able to concentrate mentally on a particular activity.
- ‘It's all micromoments and fleeting glimpses, perfect for the short attention span.’
- ‘Anybody who thinks that young people have a short attention span has never watched them hooked into a movie or a game.’
- ‘A short attention span is causing international support for a war crimes tribunal to wane.’
- ‘This breed had a short attention span and would attack whatever made the most noise.’
- ‘It wasn't that his attention span was short, it was just that it focused on much bigger, more important things.’
- ‘TV producers assume we all have the attention span of a goldfish.’
- ‘Ask this person if your child has a short attention span or is hard to control.’
- ‘The biggest problem is the short attention span demonstrated by children and pets.’
- ‘The film first panders to your short attention span, and then hits you with emotional baggage.’
- ‘All these demanded concentration and a longer attention span than computer games.’
- ‘Our attention span is very short and we are always looking for the next big thing.’
- ‘There are probably three great albums in here, but in itself it is too long for someone with my short attention span.’
- ‘He was not particularly intelligent, had a short attention span, and was easily bored.’
- ‘His attention span was short, though, and even loneliness did not bother him for long.’
- ‘The filmmakers often operate as if they believe the audience has the collective attention span of a gnat.’
- ‘Later there will be no need for an explanation since everybody knows that the public attention span is short and the media will have moved on.’
- ‘Moreover, the attention span of the average reader too has grown shorter over the years, Daruwalla said.’
- ‘It portrays Martin as a befuddled individual with a short attention span and a weight problem, who exhibits no sign of remorse.’
- ‘Just as a baby has a short attention span, so is the case for your young animal.’
- ‘And when he was fretting over a deal he had the attention span of a gnat.’
attention span/əˈten(t)SHən span/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.