One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a syllable) without accent or stress.
- ‘In Portuguese, vowels have stressed (tonic) and unstressed (atonic) forms.’
- ‘In this kind of metric versification, neither the actual number of the syllables nor the difference between tonic and atonic syllables had much importance.’
Lacking muscular tone.
- ‘Atonic and tonic seizures are characterized by a sudden change in muscle tone.’
- ‘In Poliomyelitis the greatest possible care must be taken to prevent bruising atonic muscle fibers.’
- ‘The highest levels of intoxication can be life-threatening, producing delirium, coma, atonic bladder and cardiac arrhythmias.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.