Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A theoretical approach that regards something as interpretable through analysis into distinct, separable, and independent elementary components.The opposite of holism
- ‘Philip Pettit makes a useful distinction between two pairs of concepts: individualism and collectivism, and atomism and holism.’
- ‘Gassendi, for example, embarked on a wholehearted revival and modification of Epicurean atomism, which had a considerable impact on natural philosophy.’
- ‘One of the great achievements of the scientific imagination, the Epicurean cosmos is based on three fundamental principles: materialism, mechanism, and atomism.’
- ‘Their atheism was based on a theory of atomism, which they were the first to propose.’
- ‘The true philosophy of Cudworth's intellectual system combines mechanistic atomism with Platonic metaphysics.’
- ‘A study of the path from philosophical atomism to contemporary scientific atomism helps to shed light on the nature of philosophy and science and the relationship between the two.’
- ‘The reason that his work on chemical atomism, if not physical atomism, was so widely accepted was that it worked to explain the relationships that had been noted and tested by the chemists of the latter part of the 1700s.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.