Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A theoretical approach that regards something as interpretable through analysis into distinct, separable, and independent elementary components.The opposite of holism
- ‘A study of the path from philosophical atomism to contemporary scientific atomism helps to shed light on the nature of philosophy and science and the relationship between the two.’
- ‘Their atheism was based on a theory of atomism, which they were the first to propose.’
- ‘Philip Pettit makes a useful distinction between two pairs of concepts: individualism and collectivism, and atomism and holism.’
- ‘Gassendi, for example, embarked on a wholehearted revival and modification of Epicurean atomism, which had a considerable impact on natural philosophy.’
- ‘One of the great achievements of the scientific imagination, the Epicurean cosmos is based on three fundamental principles: materialism, mechanism, and atomism.’
- ‘The true philosophy of Cudworth's intellectual system combines mechanistic atomism with Platonic metaphysics.’
- ‘The reason that his work on chemical atomism, if not physical atomism, was so widely accepted was that it worked to explain the relationships that had been noted and tested by the chemists of the latter part of the 1700s.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.