Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The spiritual life principle of the universe, especially when regarded as inherent in the real self of the individual.
spirit, psyche, innermost self, inner being, true being, essential nature, animating principle, life force, vital force, inner man, inner womanView synonyms
- ‘Beyond the senses is the mind, beyond the mind, pure intellect, beyond the intellect, the great atman, beyond the great atman, the Unmanifest.’
- ‘A fundamental message of the film is that we are all connected, just as the Vedas teach that through atman we are all part of the universal soul of Brahman.’
- ‘The convictions that samsara is nirvana and that atman is Brahman are two distinctive religious conclusions born of such insight.’
- ‘The one who has discovered the supreme atman dwelling in the heart, without parts, without a second, the universal witness, neither being nor nonbeing, attains the pure form of the supreme atman.’
- ‘Further emphasizing the same truth Sri Krishna repeats, ‘The atman is imperishable, and it pervades the whole universe.’’
- 1.1A person's soul.
- ‘Every human being has an atman (individual soul - jiva-atman) that resembles the Universal Soul that is temporarily separated from It.’
- ‘Buddhism recognizes neither the mind/body dualism that characterizes much of Western philosophy, nor the concept of an essential self, such as the Hindu atman.’
- ‘The tip of his heart gets illumined and, being illumined, the atman departs through the eye or the head or some other part of the body.’
- ‘We have already seen that the self or atman is eternal and divine, whether it is considered to be identical with or separate from ultimate reality or God.’
- ‘Whether they call it soul, spirit, atman or Buddha nature, all the major religions say that men and women have the same essential nature.’
From Sanskrit ātman, literally essence, breath.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.