One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In the position adopted when given a command to port one's weapon.
- ‘Their faces were concealed by tinted face shields attached to their helmets, and they carried what looked like quarter staffs at port arms.’
- ‘Charlie slowly walked down the hill, the carbine held at port arms.’
- ‘The naval soldier moved to stand next to the weapons console, rifle held at port arms.’
- ‘The column of twelve soldiers marched through in single file with their rifles at port arms.’
- ‘For example, a soldier standing at port arms will normally have a center of gravity in the middle of the pelvis, roughly behind the navel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.