One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In the position adopted when given a command to port one's weapon.
- ‘Charlie slowly walked down the hill, the carbine held at port arms.’
- ‘The naval soldier moved to stand next to the weapons console, rifle held at port arms.’
- ‘For example, a soldier standing at port arms will normally have a center of gravity in the middle of the pelvis, roughly behind the navel.’
- ‘Their faces were concealed by tinted face shields attached to their helmets, and they carried what looked like quarter staffs at port arms.’
- ‘The column of twelve soldiers marched through in single file with their rifles at port arms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.