One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
At the first court hearing concerning a case.
- ‘Although both the judge at first instance and the Court of Appeal held that the agreement was void, the House of Lords held the contract to be valid and binding.’
- ‘At first instance, the jury returned a verdict in favour of the defendant.’
- ‘His application for judicial review was dismissed at first instance on 11 April 2001.’
- ‘That court unanimously dismissed an appeal against a judgment entered by Justice Carr at first instance in that court.’
- ‘The Federal Court of Australia at first instance and then on appeal denied judicial review.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.