One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
As soon as requested.‘ready to leave again at a word’
- ‘There was no seam or opening to be found on the box, yet at a word from Loarela, the top suddenly was no longer just a painting of a vortex, but an actual pit of darkness.’
- ‘Elizabeth tried to touch it, but stopped at a word from her mother.’
- ‘He ordered a cut-purse caught in the act to be hanged without a trial at a word from his royal mouth.’’
- ‘The gunner's stopped the armoured artillery pieces, ready to fire at a word's notice.’
- ‘Her favourites were lanterns that could come alive or die at a word, and an arrow that would hit whatever you wanted to hit, no matter how bad your aim was.’
- ‘He consoled himself with the knowledge that the human was in his power, and that at a word the humans life would be ended.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.