One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not more than.‘the walk took four minutes at the most’
- ‘I returned to my office about half an hour later for one or two minutes at most to collect some more papers, and left again.’
- ‘The time spent on individual study varies throughout the year but is probably two to three hours a week at the most.’
- ‘Work began on Friday night, but traffic was light yesterday with delays of only a few minutes at most.’
- ‘She sees her father at most twice a year now, having discovered that the only thing a family shares is its past.’
- ‘Once the system is re-connected it takes about two minutes at most to reach full pressure.’
- ‘He felt as though he had been running for hours when it had only been a mere ten minutes at most.’
- ‘There are, at most, six bridleways in the Baildon area, all of which require riders to use roads to get to them.’
- ‘He was convinced that this sedative would leave the horse's system in a week, or at most a fortnight.’
- ‘It must have been only a few seconds, a minute at the most, but it felt like an eternity.’
- ‘It doesn't happen often - twice a year at most - and usually it passes within an hour or so.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.