One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player's turn at batting, as officially recorded.‘O'Neill had three singles in four at-bats’Compare with plate appearance
- ‘The following year he punched out four homers while leading the league with 691 at bats.’
- ‘But recently, he's been smashing the ball for extra base hits nearly every at bat.’
- ‘He joins Wilson and Juan Samuel as the only players ever to record 700-plus at bats in a season.’
- ‘He is also the first player in baseball history to have more times on base than official at bats over the course of a season.’
- ‘He wondered how a player this bad could be given 3000 at bats in the major leagues.’
- ‘Phillips averaged 78 at bats in the first four months of the season.’
- ‘He was easily one of the dominating first basemen of his generation, both at bat and on the field.’
- ‘Here's a rundown of some of the most glaring failures at bat, in the field, or on the mound in a single World Series.’
- ‘The way to win baseball games is to score runs when at bat and prevent runs when in the field.’
- ‘My second time at bat was in Baltimore, and I got my first home run off Robin Roberts, one of the all-time great pitchers.’
- ‘‘You go into second base and knock somebody into left field, and the next time you're at bat you get hit,’ Walker said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.