One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player's turn at batting, as officially recorded.‘O'Neill had three singles in four at-bats’Compare with plate appearance
- ‘Phillips averaged 78 at bats in the first four months of the season.’
- ‘But recently, he's been smashing the ball for extra base hits nearly every at bat.’
- ‘The following year he punched out four homers while leading the league with 691 at bats.’
- ‘He wondered how a player this bad could be given 3000 at bats in the major leagues.’
- ‘He is also the first player in baseball history to have more times on base than official at bats over the course of a season.’
- ‘He joins Wilson and Juan Samuel as the only players ever to record 700-plus at bats in a season.’
- ‘My second time at bat was in Baltimore, and I got my first home run off Robin Roberts, one of the all-time great pitchers.’
- ‘He was easily one of the dominating first basemen of his generation, both at bat and on the field.’
- ‘The way to win baseball games is to score runs when at bat and prevent runs when in the field.’
- ‘‘You go into second base and knock somebody into left field, and the next time you're at bat you get hit,’ Walker said.’
- ‘Here's a rundown of some of the most glaring failures at bat, in the field, or on the mound in a single World Series.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.