One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a class of divine beings in the Vedic period, which in Indian mythology tend to be evil and in Zoroastrianism are benevolent.
- ‘The asuras demanded their share of the prize, but the devas reneged on their agreement, realizing that if their wicked rivals drank the nectar they would be eternally unbeatable.’
- ‘Ever since, the victory over the asura is celebrated with customary obeisance to the Goddess Durga.’
- ‘Nothing as gratifying as this has ever happened, they declare again and again, since the wars between the gods and the asuras.’
- ‘Such acts invoke the asuras in dreams and visions and invite calamity in your life.’
- ‘The asuras say that this world is unreal, with no foundation, no God in control.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.