One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The branch of astronomy concerned with the physical nature of stars and other celestial bodies, and the application of the laws and theories of physics to the interpretation of astronomical observations.
- ‘Cosmology and astrophysics are branches of physics in which one needs an unusual combination of breadth and depth to excel.’
- ‘For the Hayden Planetarium, the new technology offered the potential to convey contemporary astrophysics as never before.’
- ‘According to my research on astrophysics, the most powerful of the known forces in the universe is nuclear energy, which fuels the stars.’
- ‘Each of these experiments generated an enormous amount of theoretical interest in the areas of cosmology and astrophysics they touched upon.’
- ‘This discovery represents a new frontier in neutron-star astrophysics.’
- ‘Her work tends to encompass the overlap of mathematics, general relativity, and astrophysics.’
- ‘A team of astronomers might have solved one of the mysteries of astrophysics with the discovery of a clutch of quasars, hiding behind clouds of dust.’
- ‘His interests range from astrophysics and quantum mechanics to mathematical puzzles and games.’
- ‘I read up on interstellar objects and astrophysics and studied quasars, pulsars and supernovas, but my main focus was black holes.’
- ‘His interests span a broad range of topics in astrophysics, from cosmology to the emergence of intelligent life.’
- ‘The picture suggests possible solutions to many outstanding questions in physics and astrophysics.’
- ‘I said that I'd prefer particle physics, but astrophysics was fine too.’
- ‘In many instances, these three basic physical sciences even overlap, giving rise to joint disciplines such as astrophysics and chemical physics.’
- ‘Reading about cosmology captured her imagination and, intrigued by questions of how the universe came to be, she narrowed her focus to astrophysics.’
- ‘I predict that particle physics and its links with astrophysics and cosmology will continue to be exciting in the foreseeable future.’
- ‘The South Building, built from 1891 to 1899, was an astrophysics observatory.’
- ‘I was about twelve years old when my father began bringing home Fred Hoyle's books on astrophysics.’
- ‘Modern astronomical research proceeds at a rapid pace due to the application of new technologies in astronomy and astrophysics.’
- ‘Only the professionals could afford the large telescopes and complex support gear required for modern astronomy and astrophysics.’
- ‘He was later promoted to chief observer and professor of astrophysics.’
- ‘He has published about two dozen papers in various astronomy and astrophysics journals.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.