One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A unit of measurement equal to 149.6 million kilometers, the mean distance from the center of the earth to the center of the sun.
- ‘These stars are generally separated by distances of several astronomical units or more.’
- ‘Today the distance between the Earth and sun, known as an astronomical unit, is accurately measured by radar.’
- ‘Because the relative distances to the planets were well known, a definitive astronomical unit allowed the actual distances to be calculated.’
- ‘Even at its closest, Sedna comes no nearer to the Sun than 76 astronomical units, each AU equaling the average distance of the Earth from the Sun.’
- ‘Typical distances from the Sun are 10,000 astronomical units, and typical orbital periods are on the order of 1 million years.’
- ‘Bodies that formed from the Sun out to a distance of about 2.5 astronomical units are primarily rocky and metallic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.