Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A unit of measurement equal to 149.6 million kilometers, the mean distance from the center of the earth to the center of the sun.
- ‘Because the relative distances to the planets were well known, a definitive astronomical unit allowed the actual distances to be calculated.’
- ‘Typical distances from the Sun are 10,000 astronomical units, and typical orbital periods are on the order of 1 million years.’
- ‘Bodies that formed from the Sun out to a distance of about 2.5 astronomical units are primarily rocky and metallic.’
- ‘These stars are generally separated by distances of several astronomical units or more.’
- ‘Even at its closest, Sedna comes no nearer to the Sun than 76 astronomical units, each AU equaling the average distance of the Earth from the Sun.’
- ‘Today the distance between the Earth and sun, known as an astronomical unit, is accurately measured by radar.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.