One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Determination of the position and course of an aircraft or a spacecraft by means of observation of the stars.
- ‘This included training in rigging and astronavigation and sextant usage.’
- ‘The cardinal principle of astronavigation is to keep far away from gravitational maelstroms.’
- ‘However, despite taking the astronavigation exam on numerous occasions, Mr R has had no success with this approach.’
- ‘The Massachussets Institute of Technology was the obvious place for NASA to look for help in Apollo's astronavigation problems.’
- ‘Mr. Butt's talk rounded off the season of lectures on a very unusual and interesting note, being the first time that astronavigation had been included in the syllabus of lectures to the Society.’
Mid 20th century: from astro- + navigation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.