A star-shaped glial cell of the central nervous system.
- ‘They successfully grew skin cells, smooth muscle cells, neurons and other nerve cells known as astrocytes and oligodendrocytes, and pigment producing cells called melanocytes, Reuters reports.’
- ‘They observed both neurons and astrocytes, the two types of cells into which the brain stem cells mature.’
- ‘Mercury accumulates in the central nervous system primarily in astrocytes, the cells that provide the first line of defense for the central nervous system against toxic compounds.’
- ‘His work has established the inhibitory role astrocytes can play in preventing central nervous system regeneration.’
- ‘Once inside the brain or spinal cord, neural progenitor cells grow into neuron-supporting stem cells called astrocytes.’