One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘There was no distinctive flavour apart from a slight astringency.’
- ‘The tarragon sauce lent an interesting and subtle astringency, which gave the tender pork a real lift.’
- ‘It is an important issue because even trained tasters can have trouble distinguishing between bitterness and astringency.’
- ‘For all its harmonic astringency, Ullmann's music is frequently beautiful.’
- ‘A warmly lyrical idiom gave place to a gritty astringency that must have been very disturbing to erstwhile admirers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.