One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1attributive Of, connected with, or resembling the stars.‘astral navigation’
- ‘He's going to allot a section of the sky to each member of the family and have them count the number of stars in their designated astral plot.’
- ‘The clear African sky at night, with its infinite astral array, takes some beating as a holiday experience.’
- ‘The two men had cited example after example of astrologically arranged marriages, full of astral promise, turning disastrous.’
- ‘In principle, everyone had the power to prevail over astral influences.’
- ‘The car's headlights led the way in this intensely gorgeous astral setting.’
- 1.1 Relating to a supposed nonphysical realm of existence to which various psychic and paranormal phenomena are ascribed, and in which the physical human body is said to have a counterpart.
- ‘If someone believes they can leave their body and travel the world and the millions of different astral planes, they will.’
- ‘Now that you have part of his resumé, you can peruse some of the spells on his site which include astral projection, time travel and fire magic.’
- ‘Someday he would have to ask Kayal more about astral bodies, but that day wouldn't come for a long time.’
- ‘Lessons included learning astral projection, which Helen first tried at the age of 12.’
- ‘According to the book, I had been the victim of some kind of lower astral entity, a being that had attached itself to me in my weakened state, and was causing the fear and paralysis.’
- ‘In astral projection, it is the astral body, not the soul or consciousness, that leaves the body.’
- ‘Barbara claims she can do astral healing: psychic surgery on your aura.’
- ‘Like us, they have both physical and astral bodies.’
- ‘Pain flared along his astral body the moment he touched his physical vessel.’
- ‘Cecil barely had time to open his mouth to scream as his astral body impacted on the ground, slipping right through it and down into the bowels of the Earth.’
- ‘I do not have visions and have never done astral travelling.’
- ‘The astral body exists in the nonphysical dimension called the astral plane, which is also the world we are in during our dreams at night when we sleep.’
- ‘The physical body can be cured by treating the astral body with energy healing.’
- ‘The last time I heard similar themes in an interview, someone were earnestly explaining the concept of astral flying.’
- ‘These spirits have astral bodies only, and are invisible.’
- ‘By some accounts, the astral body is a third component of humans, along with the material body and disincarnate soul.’
- ‘It puts things in perspective. It's the closest I'll ever get to astral projection.’
- ‘Everyone has a counterpart on the astral plane, sitting in its little room.’
- ‘We simply step out of the physical body and are in our astral body, going on in the mind as usual.’
- ‘Even with an astral body, he found it hard to keep up.’
Early 17th century: from late Latin astralis, from astrum ‘star’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.