Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] Denoting or involving the preferential mating of animals or marrying of people with similar characteristics.
- ‘Women with brains were not always the hottest commodity on the marriage market, notes UCLA sociology professor Robert Mare, who has conducted extensive studies of educational assortative mating over time.’
- ‘Finally, we found no evidence of assortative preference for size.’
- ‘In positive assortative mating, individuals of similar phenotype mate together more frequently than expected by chance.’
- ‘The outcome of this is assortative mating with respect to mate quality.’
- ‘There may be incomplete admixture between components of the population because of assortative mating, niche specialization, or, particularly in the case of humans, cultural differences.’
- ‘Through their combined effect, the cycle of success together with assortative mating or sexual selection would have greatly accelerated the action of natural selection and the rate of human evolution.’
- ‘Fruit flies have served as a prime model system in research on the effect of mate choice and assortative mating on speciation.’
- ‘Mating may thus be assortative as females mate selectively with males of the same vocal background, discouraging gene migration.’
- ‘Condition-dependent preferences will emerge in both sexes as a result and presumably will combine to make mating even more strongly assortative.’
- ‘Despite the overall assortative pairing, the most striking pattern in this figure is that every hermit male was paired with a pure hermit female, whereas an equal number of pure hermit females pair with hybrid and Townsend's males.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.