One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- more formal term for soccer
- ‘It's obvious from the course of last year's debate that the intention is to allow Association Football and Rugby Union to be played in Croke Park and eventually in all our grounds.’
- ‘It held drama on and off the field, enough to satisfy the thirst of any fan, and nothing quite like it has been known in the long history of Association Football in Waterford.’
- ‘In the year 1823, during a school game of Association Football, the young William Webb Ellis picked up the ball and ran with it in his hands.’
- ‘In the first of a new series we're looking at some of the existing Laws Of Association Football and putting across an argument as to how these could be tidied up.’
- ‘And finally in other news, England is playing Brazil in a game of Association Football in Japan.’
- ‘The first Association Football Club was the Alpha, formed in 1887.’
- ‘The stadium's primary purpose shall be for the playing and watching of Association Football.’
- ‘There should be no need to remind everyone that the basic aim of the FAI is ‘to promote, foster, and develop the game of Association Football in all its branches.’’
- ‘After all the pop duo are not known for their deep love of Association Football.’
- ‘Under the Laws of Association Football no dissent of any kind is permissible and constitutionally, clubs are held responsible for the behaviour of their players and spectators.’
- ‘The club was champion of the Third Division York and District Association Football League.’
- ‘Now how did soccer, Association Football, come to spread so successfully around the globe?’
- ‘There has been much debate about the rules of Association Football on these and other pages in the media over the last few weeks.’
- ‘There was a bit of an altercation at the weekend's Association Football match between Manchester United and Arsenal.’
Late 19th century: so called because it is played according the rules of the Football Association.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.