Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A region of the cortex of the brain that connects sensory and motor areas, and that is thought to be concerned with higher mental activities.
- ‘In the temporal lobe of the monkey's cerebral cortex, in the general region where Wernicke's area exists in humans, there is a specialized auditory association area.’
- ‘This priming memory seems to involve auditory-visual association areas of the cerebral cortex.’
- ‘On the other hand, the parietal higher association area activity was decreased compared to the controls.’
- ‘Formerly the disease was typecast as motor system degeneration, yet sensory fields, association areas, and premotor fields become damaged throughout the brain.’
- ‘Instead, they may involve association areas of the cerebral cortex.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.