One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An academic ranking immediately below full professor.
- ‘It includes both full and associate professors, but not administrators.’
- ‘It was on the strength of this work that he was made an associate professor at the University of Göttingen.’
- ‘The report shows that assistant and associate professors spent less time doing administrative work than professors.’
- ‘To the contrary, it is arguably faculty who are frozen in rank as associate professors whose productivity is likely to suffer.’
- ‘Is there a difference in knowledge levels between faculty members with administrative duties, such as department chairs and assistant deans, versus those without, such as assistant and associate professors?’
- ‘He's an associate professor of surgery at the university medical school.’
- ‘He became an associate professor at New York University in 1946 where he stayed for the rest of his life.’
- ‘He is a tenured associate professor in the School of Communication at the University of Houston.’
- ‘They hold advanced degrees and serve as professors or associate professors of nursing in the academic setting.’
- ‘In 1974 he was appointed an associate professor at Stanford University.’
- ‘The survey breaks down salaries within disciplines/major fields by faculty status: full professors, associate professors, assistant professors, new assistant professors and instructors.’
- ‘Full professors published fewer articles on average than did associate professors and were roughly equal to assistant professors.’
- ‘Two are associate professors - most are assistants heading for tenure review.’
- ‘He is also an associate professor within Rensselaer's School of Architecture.’
- ‘Among the faculty ranks, we expected heads of departments and assistant professors from doctoral institutions to show less interest in accounting history than associate professors or professors.’
- ‘He's an associate professor at the naval post graduate school in Monterey and a consultant at Rand.’
- ‘That year he accepted an appointment as an associate professor at Ohio State University.’
- ‘For most teachers of this age in Chinese universities, there are only two or three years left before their retirement and most of them retire as professors or associate professors.’
- ‘He remained on the staff there for the rest of his life being promoted to associate professor in 1937 and full professor in 1941.’
- ‘His home these days is Dallas, where he is an associate professor at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Centre.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.