Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for referee's assistant
umpire, judge, referee's assistant, assistant referee, linesman, line judge, adjudicator, arbitrator, arbiter, mediatorView synonyms
- ‘Fernandez was booked following advice from an assistant referee.’
- ‘Speed endurance and good recovery in between intense periods of exercise are vital for referees and assistant referees.’
- ‘He also reserved some criticism for assistant referees at the World Cup.’
- ‘The game was in danger of being abandoned until he took over the line in place of an injured assistant referee.’
- ‘Curtis did look suspiciously offside but there was no flag from the assistant referee despite Sutton Coldfield's extended protests.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.