Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The evaluation or estimation of the nature, quality, or ability of someone or something.‘the assessment of educational needs’‘he made a rapid assessment of the situation’‘assessments of market value’
evaluation, judgement, gauging, rating, estimation, appraisal, opinion, analysisvaluation, calculation, computation, costing, pricing, estimateView synonyms
- ‘There was no proper risk assessment done for that kind of industrialised farming.’
- ‘There is very little in the leaflet on which to base any worthwhile assessment.’
- ‘There is nothing before me to suggest that this is other than an accurate and honest assessment.’
- ‘He said a major risk assessment had been made beforehand to ensure people's safety.’
- ‘The fashionable citizens of the globe do not share our modest assessment however.’
- ‘Those should be top of the list of any fair assessment of what deserves their attention.’
- ‘At the time he went missing he was undergoing assessment and that had not been completed.’
- ‘Our assessment of his life's worth shouldn't be informed by that of the thugs who shot him.’
- ‘The panel which decided to release him from the school had not been made aware of this assessment.’
- ‘He has said the girl should be placed in a secure unit for assessment for her own safety.’
- ‘I decided to go home first, to get to a basin and a mirror and do some damage assessment.’
- ‘An inquiry has begun into how the raid was orchestrated and what kind of risk assessment was taken.’
- ‘This assessment of the emerging striker's attributes in the here and now is fanciful.’
- ‘All jobs and people applying for them are reviewed against a stringent risk assessment.’
- ‘Staff training has begun and it will be followed by assessment and training for patients.’
- ‘After the initial assessment, the medical team must speak to the senior fire officer.’
- ‘The council has conducted a foot and mouth risk assessment and it has been judged safe for the lane to be open.’
- ‘He was not given a work permit nor a site safety induction and no risk assessment was done.’
- ‘National pilot studies are taking place to establish if that assessment is correct.’
- ‘The agency is compiling a traffic impact assessment on the viability of the scheme.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.