(especially as a direction after a tempo marking) very.‘allegro assai’
- ‘The strings players brought invigorating energy to the concluding Allegro assai.’
- ‘I also enjoyed the Finale that also follows without a break and which is marked Allegro deciso, assai moderato.’
- ‘Each of the six sinfonias is in four movements with a variety of finales including a Rondeau, a Presto, a ‘Cotillon’ and the more traditional Allegro assai.’
- ‘From the opening notes of the Allegro vivace assai, the Berlin players conjured up Mozart in the best Viennese manner.’
- ‘In the Allegro assai moderato we have an impression of impish playfulness that is very much akin to Gade's own inventiveness.’
Italian, ‘very much’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.