One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The detachment, movement, or carrying away of property, considered an essential component of the crime of larceny.
- ‘Secret confinement creates an alternative to the asportation element of kidnapping.’
- ‘Two cases seem possibly to indicate that kidnapping for extortion is established by proof of an unlawful confinement and asportation without proof of a specific intent.’
- ‘Historically, the asportation requirement has caused few problems.’
- ‘This instruction does not cover the defendant's theory, which is that he had no knowledge of the theft of the car until after the asportation had ceased.’
- ‘There are two main components of larceny: trespassing and asportation.’
Late 15th century: from Latin asportatio(n-), from asportare ‘carry away’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.