One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of the surface of an optical lens) not spherical.
- ‘Typical projection optics designs feature NAs of around 0.25 and consist of at least six aspherical mirror surfaces, with reflections tilted off-axis.’
- ‘The lens is made up of 15 elements in 13 groups, 2 of which are aspherical and 3 ED.’
- ‘For the second part, Phillips injected an aspherical drop of water into the honey.’
- ‘In room one a curiously aspherical black sphere sits on the floor alongside walls hung with photographs of expanses of water with accompanying texts.’
- ‘Optical configurations include plano, spherical, aspherical, toric, cylindrical, diffractive, and sometimes combinations of these.’
- ‘The ‘L' signifies Canon's top of the line lens series, built with fluorite, ultra-low dispersion and aspherical glass elements.’
- ‘In 1665, he developed the principles of his theory of gravitation, worked out fluxional calculus, devised instruments for grinding lenses to aspherical shapes, decomposed solar light into its component colors.’
- ‘Investigations into arrangements of spheres date back centuries, but research into how efficiently aspherical objects aggregate has received scant attention.’
- ‘The most critical aspects of the problem are the large aspherical deformations of the interface and thepropagation of shockwaves thereby produced.’
- ‘The development of hybrid aspherical elements was driven by the requirement for compact and yet precise 35 mm and video lenses.’
- ‘The design achieves this performance with the use of aspherical surfaces and optomechanical mounts that introduce the lowest possible deformations.’
- ‘This approach may be particularly inadequate for nonglobular, aspherical particles.’
- ‘This NEC design uses four aspherical curved mirrors to deliver an image to the screen.’
- ‘When it explodes, the outer part is aspherical, but as we see lower down, the dense inner core is spherical.’
- ‘The newly developed 9-group 11-element structured lens, which offers 10x optical zoom, includes a glass-molded aspherical lens.’
- ‘Throughout the whole development process, from the initial prototype sample to production, geometric shapes of the aspherical surfaces are perfected step by step.’
- ‘The use of aspherical lens elements in both of the front and rear lens groups effectively compensates for distortion, spherical aberration and astigmatism.’
- ‘This technology, which has breakthrough potential for the semiconductor and nanotechnology industries, places extreme demands on our ability to apply, measure, and polish optics ranging from flats to complex aspherical surfaces.’
- ‘Aspherical glass lenses are a key device of optical electronics, with high product reliability and stability achieved by a wide range of glass material and a variety of designs.’
- ‘The microlenses themselves can be spherical, aspherical, or exhibit still more complex, non - symmetric shapes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.