One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A condition in which certain fungi infect the tissues. It most commonly affects the lungs, owing to inhalation of spores from moldy hay, and is then informally called farmer's lung.
The fungi that cause this condition are blackish molds of the genus Aspergillus, phylum Ascomycota
- ‘Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis occurs in cases of atopic asthma and may result in important lung disease.’
- ‘Of these, one case with pulmonary aspergillosis and one case with atelectasis (due to acute hemorrhage) were confirmed.’
- ‘The disease includes pneumonia and aspergillosis.’
- ‘Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis was first reported by Hinson et al in 1952.’
- ‘Rarer conditions include aspergillosis (a serious lung infection) and cryptococcal meningitis (infection causing swelling in the brain, which can be life threatening).’
- ‘Symptoms of invasive aspergillosis are nonspecific and include fever, cough, pleuritic chest pain, and hemoptysis.’
- ‘Mortality among AIDS patients with cardiac aspergillosis is 100%, despite antifungal therapy.’
- ‘This species has been reported in a variety of animal and human infections including invasive and systemic disease including aspergillosis of the lungs and/or disseminated aspergillosis.’
- ‘Pulmonary aspergillosis may present with fever, cough or sinusitis.’
- ‘The malabsorption syndrome; secondary to chronic diarrhea, was explained as a result of aspergillosis of the stomach.’
- ‘Diagnoses included small cell and non-small cell lung cancer and invasive aspergillosis.’
- ‘During the course of our patient's treatment, multiple positive bacterial cultures and delayed growth of fungal organisms caused difficulty in making a timely diagnosis of aspergillosis.’
- ‘Invasive aspergillosis is confined to the lungs in the majority of cases, but sinusitis and central nervous system involvement also occur with some frequency.’
- ‘In due course, the research will help to develop drugs to treat aspergillosis and prevent the fungus from growing and spreading.’
- ‘Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis is most often a complication of asthma or cystic fibrosis.’
- ‘Two patients died later from disseminated aspergillosis on Day 10 and from splenic rupture on Day 57, respectively.’
- ‘There is not sufficient evidence to generally recommend treatment of an Aspergillus-postive sputum culture in the absence of allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis.’
- ‘No subjects reported a history of clinically demonstrable tuberculosis or allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis as defined by the criteria of Rosenberg and colleagues.’
- ‘In an immune-compromised patient, invasive aspergillosis is a devastating disease that can present in this fashion and often eludes diagnosis.’
- ‘Endobronchial aspergillosis is uniquely encountered in the lung transplant population, with an observed frequency of about 5%.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Aspergillus, from aspergillum, + -osis.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.