Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A decorative indoor or greenhouse plant with feathery foliage, related to the edible asparagus.
- ‘The choir stalls displayed large bunches of wheat and asparagus ferns, while colour was added by a profusion of dahlias.’
- ‘The fungus develops in the tissue of asparagus fern and drains the plant of vital nutrients.’
- ‘There's two mini cyclamen, an asparagus fern, and some whose names I can't remember so I'll have to look them up.’
- ‘Asparagus Fern can smother groundcovers, small shrubs and seedlings, forming a weed monoculture.’
- ‘Wendy and her greenhouse team may present the season's micro red mustard or delicate asparagus ferns and roots.’
- ‘Jade plants, cactus, English ivy and asparagus ferns are pretty safe bets.’
- ‘Gardeners should avoid planting all types of asparagus fern.’
- ‘The asparagus fern, Asparagus setaceus, is happy to spend its life in a semi-shaded part of the kitchen - just make sure the feathery foliage is misted occasionally, and don't let the compost dry out for long periods.’
- ‘Asparagus fern tends to occur around towns, particularly near-coastal locations in moist shady gullies.’
- ‘The Christmas tree is also draped with asparagus fern, giving it a fuzzy, soft focus effect.’
- ‘The poster-calendar features 24 of the most harmful environmental weeds, including wandering jew, camphor laurel, orange jessamine, umbrella tree, asparagus fern and morning glory.’
- ‘It's hard to imagine summer without the hard working asparagus fern that serves as a great filler in pots, window boxes, and baskets.’
- ‘He mixes succulents with plants that have foliage of an entirely different nature, such as asparagus fern, coleus, or curly parsley.’
- ‘By the end of the season, the furrows should be entirely filled in, although the developing asparagus fern should never be buried.’
- ‘I've waited years for my asparagus fern to look this healthy.’
- ‘They had been teamed up with an asparagus fern, but it had started to shade them, with the hypoestes leaves becoming less variegated (a natural response to low light levels).’
- ‘It's recommended that you never place your terrarium in direct sun; however, plants which enjoy more than just medium light include hen and chicks, jade plants, asparagus ferns, and Venus fly traps.’
- ‘The next design was in a flat dish surrounded by birch twigs, asparagus fern, ostrich feathers and white sisal.’
- ‘I have a large one on my desk which is taking care of two peppers, the poorly asparagus fern (don't know what's wrong with it), my little bamboo and the last of the coleus.’
- ‘Other types of aphids, when present in large populations, can also damage tender asparagus fern and reduce yields in succeeding years.’
asparagus fern/əˈsperəɡəs fərn/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.