One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not attentive or alert.‘let's hope the regulators are not asleep at the wheel’‘someone must have been asleep at the switch to allow this’
lax, negligent, neglectful, remiss, careless, slapdash, slipshod, lackadaisical, lazy, inefficient, incompetent, inattentive, offhand, casual, disorderly, disorganizedView synonyms
- ‘The software giant has been quiet in the news business for some time, but don't assume the industry leader is asleep at the wheel.’
- ‘As for extras, someone was asleep at the wheel on this disc.’
- ‘We've been asleep at the wheel for over forty years, folks.’
- ‘We must have been asleep at the switch, and so we have to revamp our intelligence structure from the ground up.’
- ‘Nor were our political leaders the only ones asleep at the switch.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.