One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A stocky perching bird related to the pittas, found only in Madagascar.
Family Philepittidae: two genera, in particular Philepitta (two species). See also false sunbird
- ‘Their closest relatives are broadbills and asities (Philepittidae).’
- ‘Prum concluded that the endemic family of asities and sunbird-asities is embedded in the broadbill family and sister to the African genus Pseudocalyptomena.’
- ‘Sunbird asities (genus Neodrepanis) are aggressive and compete with other species for food.’
- ‘Broadbills are thought to be closely related to pittas and asities (Philepittidae).’
- ‘The Old World has only about 50 species of suboscines, and these fall into three small groups: the outrageously colorful, short-legged, plump pittas; the broadbills; and the asities.’
Probably a local word.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.