Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A stocky perching bird related to the pittas, found only in Madagascar.
- ‘Prum concluded that the endemic family of asities and sunbird-asities is embedded in the broadbill family and sister to the African genus Pseudocalyptomena.’
- ‘The Old World has only about 50 species of suboscines, and these fall into three small groups: the outrageously colorful, short-legged, plump pittas; the broadbills; and the asities.’
- ‘Their closest relatives are broadbills and asities (Philepittidae).’
- ‘Sunbird asities (genus Neodrepanis) are aggressive and compete with other species for food.’
- ‘Broadbills are thought to be closely related to pittas and asities (Philepittidae).’
Probably a local name.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.