One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The crisp apple-shaped fruit of a tree that is native to Japan and China and cultivated in Australia and New Zealand.
This fruit is obtained from varieties of Pyrus pyrifolia, family RosaceaeAlso called nashi
- ‘There are equally worthy variations on the theme: noodles without the soup, enlivened by a ginger-and-scallion paste; noodles served with the broth on the side; cold Korean buckwheat noodles with Asian pear.’
- ‘We have more than 100 Asian pear trees in one of our orchards, and it's well-known that Asian pears are a smorgasbord for the coddling moth.’
- ‘She explains that in N. China the Beauty Heart radishes are treated as fruits, crisper than an Asian pear.’
- ‘Peach, Asian pear, plum and apricot trees manage to survive in appropriate microclimates.’
- ‘I also have an Asian pear tree that produced for the first time this summer.’
- ‘My first dish was a chaste, satisfying plate of yellowtail sashimi sliced in strips, flavored with capers, bits of preserved lemon, and chive oil, and laid over a bed of crunchy Asian pears.’
- ‘Products like buttercup squash, table grapes, chestnuts, persimmons, avocados, tamarillos, boysenberries, and Nashi Asian pears, just demonstrate the wide diversity of horticultural exports from New Zealand to overseas markets.’
- ‘As meal-time approached, we made a salad; actually Mary made the salad, all I did was cut up a couple Asian pears to go on top of it.’
- ‘Thinly sliced Asian pears on a field-green salad practically leapt under a tart vinaigrette, and the crisped phyllo pouch holding runny Gorgonzola cheese made the whole thing even more fun to eat.’
- ‘Velvety cuts of soy-cured salmon are wrapped ribbon-like around creamy dollops of crème fraiche, with Asian pear on the side, diced into microscopic perfection.’
- ‘Another day might find that same enticingly bitter arugula tossed with salty prosciutto shavings, creamy bits of Montasio and sparkling, crisp Asian pear cut into regimental cubes.’
- ‘Best place to base yourself is the upstairs lounge or VIP section where sakes and Asian pear martinis are the name of the cocktail game.’
- ‘A marriage of juicy pears and crisp apples, Asian pears are not hybrids; they were brought to the U.S. by Chinese prospectors during the California Gold Rush.’
- ‘Skewered in a cross, the grilled quail hung over a white ceramic bowl that contained a braised Asian pear sitting in a pool of green tea and quail sauce.’
- ‘There is a lot more to nashi, also known as Asian pears, though, than these three varieties.’
- ‘In a bowl, add the Asian pear, shiso leaves, and lemon juice.’
- ‘Offerings include coriander-crusted duck; grilled Asian pear, spinach and wonton noodles; and lavender ice cream with Grand Marnier-marinated berries.’
- ‘Unlike European pears, Asian pears must be tree-ripened for peak flavor and sweetness.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.