One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A receptacle for tobacco ash and cigarette butts.
- ‘Here was a guy who would use barstools, beer bottles, ashtrays, lit cigarettes or anything else he could get his hands on in a fight.’
- ‘Cigarette packs, ashtrays and lighters graced the entire length of the bar, except for the area in front of my partner and me.’
- ‘He stabbed his cigarette out in the ashtray and returned to his cabin.’
- ‘The idea is that smokers use the ashtrays instead of dropping cigarette ends on the streets, saving the council thousands of pounds in clean-up bills.’
- ‘Malachi drank the rest of his cup of coffee and ground out the cigarette in the ashtray.’
- ‘Archer places his cigarette in an ashtray nearby and takes a drink before answering.’
- ‘The artwork, made up of empty bottles, cigarette boxes, full ashtrays and paint tins was put together by Damien Hirst.’
- ‘On that day, throw away all your cigarettes, lighters and ashtrays.’
- ‘He does not look at her but places his cigarette in the ashtray.’
- ‘If you leave such a cigarette in an ashtray unattended, it will extinguish itself.’
- ‘The collection of beer bottles, coffee cups and overflowing ashtrays was said to represent the chaos of an artist's studio.’
- ‘Three years ago he created an impromptu piece in a gallery window - it included empty bottles, cigarette boxes and filthy ashtrays.’
- ‘There were cigarette ashtrays on the sides of the two bins outside the Court House.’
- ‘The only thing moving was the dancing smoke from a dying cigarette in an ashtray on a table.’
- ‘The busy staff showed us to our table decorated with a spilt ashtray and cigarette burns.’
- ‘Get rid all of everything that reminds you of smoking, including ashtrays, cigarettes and lighters.’
- ‘The only thing that was inside was a pack of cigarettes, an ashtray, and a lighter.’
- ‘She turned to Jen, who had just put her cigarette out in the ashtray beside her.’
- ‘I tapped ashes from my cigarette into an ashtray on the floor and decided to take her up on the offer.’
- ‘Another set-up consisted of a glass ashtray and a packet of cigarettes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.