Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of yoga based on eight principles and consisting of a series of poses executed in swift succession, combined with deep, controlled breathing.
- ‘I used to do ashtanga fairly regularly with my friend Sola, but our excellent instructor moved on and I kind of lost the edge.’
- ‘We're not sure they're actually meant to be worn for working up a sweat, but slipping into these togs instantly marks you out as someone who should know the difference between ashtanga and ayenga.’
- ‘Meditation is the essence of ashtanga yoga, which means ‘eight limbs.’’
- ‘Years of dancing, weight-training, running and astanga yoga - a very physical and punishing form - have given her the body of a much younger woman, but the same cannot be said for her face.’
- ‘Within the yoga schools, ashtanga implies a type of practice that is oriented towards insight for the purpose of liberation - not the cultivation of anything else.’
- ‘I wouldn't give up iyengar, slower yoga for astanga but I think it's a worthwhile practice.’
- ‘In ashtanga yoga, also known as power yoga, you'll work up a sweat through physical exertion.’
- ‘She did variations on third-series ashtanga until her belly was as big as a sack of groceries and she had modified her practice down to, like, two poses.’
- ‘Yoga bag by Mantra is designed to hold your mat, money and water bottle when you head to your next Pilates or ashtanga class.’
- ‘Some of the popular hatha derivatives, such as ashtanga (upon which ‘power yoga’ is based) and viniyoga, are movement and breath oriented and can offer a significant challenge.’
- ‘Christophe is a qualified yoga teacher who has been studying various styles of yoga, particularly lyengar and ashtanga, for the past 10 years in Europe and India.’
- ‘It was at that point that ashtanga yoga began spreading in America, starting in California, and then later emerging in Hawaii.’
- ‘Several traditional yoga styles - kundalini, ashtanga and vinyasa, for example - are offered as well as hybrid styles, including Yogilates, a hatha-yoga-and-Pilates combo.’
- ‘Pregnant women look sexier than their svelte counterparts, and prenatal yoga beats ashtanga in cachet.’
- ‘The yoga practised here is the very physical ashtanga variety.’
- ‘The Slip Free Yoga Chalk is now our favourite way of keeping hands sweat-free, especially during athletic ashtanga and Bikram classes.’
- ‘So for a few weeks, I tried all different types, some with names I couldn't pronounce - Bikram, hatha, ashtanga, kundalini.’
- ‘A few years ago, I went to an ashtanga class in a nearby city.’
- ‘Located on 355 acres of Mt. Madonna above Monterey Bay the 22-year-old center emphasizes the spirituality of ashtanga yoga.’
- ‘More vigorous forms of yoga, such as vinyasa and ashtanga, promote strength and stamina as well as flexibility and relaxation.’
From Hindi aṣṭaṇ or its source, Sanskrit ashṭaṅga having eight parts from ashtán eight.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.