One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of yoga based on eight principles and consisting of a series of poses executed in swift succession, combined with deep, controlled breathing.
- ‘It was at that point that ashtanga yoga began spreading in America, starting in California, and then later emerging in Hawaii.’
- ‘We're not sure they're actually meant to be worn for working up a sweat, but slipping into these togs instantly marks you out as someone who should know the difference between ashtanga and ayenga.’
- ‘Some of the popular hatha derivatives, such as ashtanga (upon which ‘power yoga’ is based) and viniyoga, are movement and breath oriented and can offer a significant challenge.’
- ‘Within the yoga schools, ashtanga implies a type of practice that is oriented towards insight for the purpose of liberation - not the cultivation of anything else.’
- ‘Located on 355 acres of Mt. Madonna above Monterey Bay the 22-year-old center emphasizes the spirituality of ashtanga yoga.’
- ‘I used to do ashtanga fairly regularly with my friend Sola, but our excellent instructor moved on and I kind of lost the edge.’
- ‘Pregnant women look sexier than their svelte counterparts, and prenatal yoga beats ashtanga in cachet.’
- ‘Yoga bag by Mantra is designed to hold your mat, money and water bottle when you head to your next Pilates or ashtanga class.’
- ‘She did variations on third-series ashtanga until her belly was as big as a sack of groceries and she had modified her practice down to, like, two poses.’
- ‘I wouldn't give up iyengar, slower yoga for astanga but I think it's a worthwhile practice.’
- ‘The yoga practised here is the very physical ashtanga variety.’
- ‘Christophe is a qualified yoga teacher who has been studying various styles of yoga, particularly lyengar and ashtanga, for the past 10 years in Europe and India.’
- ‘Years of dancing, weight-training, running and astanga yoga - a very physical and punishing form - have given her the body of a much younger woman, but the same cannot be said for her face.’
- ‘Meditation is the essence of ashtanga yoga, which means ‘eight limbs.’’
- ‘So for a few weeks, I tried all different types, some with names I couldn't pronounce - Bikram, hatha, ashtanga, kundalini.’
- ‘More vigorous forms of yoga, such as vinyasa and ashtanga, promote strength and stamina as well as flexibility and relaxation.’
- ‘In ashtanga yoga, also known as power yoga, you'll work up a sweat through physical exertion.’
- ‘A few years ago, I went to an ashtanga class in a nearby city.’
- ‘The Slip Free Yoga Chalk is now our favourite way of keeping hands sweat-free, especially during athletic ashtanga and Bikram classes.’
- ‘Several traditional yoga styles - kundalini, ashtanga and vinyasa, for example - are offered as well as hybrid styles, including Yogilates, a hatha-yoga-and-Pilates combo.’
From Hindi aṣṭaṇ or its source, Sanskrit ashṭaṅga ‘having eight parts’, from ashtán ‘eight’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.