One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The first day of Lent in the Western Christian Church, marked by services of penitence.
- ‘Parishioners are reminded that Ash Wednesday is a day of fast and abstinence.’
- ‘Traditionally, Ash Wednesday has been a time to make Lenten commitments.’
- ‘People there were asked, during Ash Wednesday services, to remember those less fortunate than they.’
- ‘Next Wednesday is Ash Wednesday, a day I always remember fondly.’
- ‘Large congregations attended the services on Ash Wednesday in St. Brigids Parish Church.’
- ‘I was also adamantly opposed to seeing the movie on opening day, Ash Wednesday.’
- ‘On the morning of Ash Wednesday, they will celebrate mass in the local parish church in Enniscrone.’
- ‘Extra chairs had to be set up on Ash Wednesday, similar to Christmas and Easter.’
- ‘That quote forms part of the invitation for people to observe Lent, taken from the Ash Wednesday service.’
- ‘On Ash Wednesday, Jesus' words send the message that believers can strive for things not of dust and ashes.’
- ‘My wife and I attended a noon Ash Wednesday service of communion and imposition of ashes.’
- ‘Going to church on Ash Wednesday will not wash away our sins.’
- ‘After Ash Wednesday services, our foreheads were clean as soon as we got home.’
- ‘Having answered the call to repentance on Ash Wednesday, we begin the Lenten journey with this dramatic set of readings.’
- ‘On the days prior to Ash Wednesday, women and girls made small bags into which ashes or small stones or pebbles were placed.’
- ‘The ashes of Ash Wednesday represent God's eternal claim on our lives.’
- ‘The Ash Wednesday service last night was really beautiful and powerful.’
- ‘On Ash Wednesday, he wants to ‘part the waters’ of our routine lives so that we might find God and be drawn closer to him by his grace.’
- ‘The annual Carnival celebration is held in the town of Castries right before Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday.’
- ‘On Ash Wednesday, the faithful seeks repentance for whatever sins he may have committed as he prepares himself for the season of Lent.’
From the custom of marking the foreheads of penitents with ashes on that day.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.