Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tray fitted beneath a grate in which ashes can be collected and removed.
- ‘A simple pullout handle above the ash pan allows accumulated ashes to be removed from the firebox.’
- ‘This means we only need to empty the ash from the ash pans in the stove 2 or 3 times per year.’
- ‘This pit is used to catch cinders from the locomotives as their ash pans are cleaned before and after service.’
- ‘After checking for the ash pan, an operator started the preheat cycle for the afterburn chamber.’
- ‘The second door allows for easy ash removal; no need to deal with messy ash pans or augers which can easily get stuck.’
- ‘However our competitors will have you believe that the ash pan is very heavy.’
- ‘GFF room heaters are equipped with an easy-to-empty ash pan that allows ashes to be removed without compromising the fire.’
- ‘Maintenance is a snap with most units providing ash pans for easy ash removal and minimum tools required to remove most interior parts for cleaning or replacement.’
- ‘Some pellet stoves have small toaster oven sized ash pans, while the Accentras ash pan will let you burn almost a ton of pellets before you have to empty it.’
- ‘The Pacific's fireman is dumping a few ashes and making sure that his ash pans are tightly closed while the engineer is oiling the cross head guide bars or the little end of the main rod connection.’
- ‘My two previous stoves had ash pans in their pedestals that never had ash in them.’
- ‘I am looking to purchase a jotul, but am concerned with the lack of an ash pan in the smaller stove.’
- ‘The once cooled charcoal ash pan can be removed easily disposing the ash with the minimum of mess or fuss.’
- ‘It serves another very important function, that of providing a strong draught on the fire and drawing air through the ash pan and grate to give more air for the burning fuel.’
- ‘The Model 480 Kitchen Queen comes equipped with grates and a large ash pan for easy, clean ash removal.’
- ‘Once installed, the maintenance routine involves, filling the hopper with pellets, and emptying ash pans weekly, regularly cleaning the burn pot, hopper, ash tray and glass, and the annual servicing of the stove etc.’
- ‘It has the newest sealed combustion system, which obviates the need for an ash pan or a shaker grate.’
- ‘Heavy duty charcoal racks and slide out ash pans are also standard.’
ash pan/ˈaSH pan/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.