One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tray fitted beneath a grate in which ashes can be collected and removed.
- ‘The once cooled charcoal ash pan can be removed easily disposing the ash with the minimum of mess or fuss.’
- ‘Once installed, the maintenance routine involves, filling the hopper with pellets, and emptying ash pans weekly, regularly cleaning the burn pot, hopper, ash tray and glass, and the annual servicing of the stove etc.’
- ‘The second door allows for easy ash removal; no need to deal with messy ash pans or augers which can easily get stuck.’
- ‘I am looking to purchase a jotul, but am concerned with the lack of an ash pan in the smaller stove.’
- ‘A simple pullout handle above the ash pan allows accumulated ashes to be removed from the firebox.’
- ‘It has the newest sealed combustion system, which obviates the need for an ash pan or a shaker grate.’
- ‘However our competitors will have you believe that the ash pan is very heavy.’
- ‘It serves another very important function, that of providing a strong draught on the fire and drawing air through the ash pan and grate to give more air for the burning fuel.’
- ‘After checking for the ash pan, an operator started the preheat cycle for the afterburn chamber.’
- ‘The Model 480 Kitchen Queen comes equipped with grates and a large ash pan for easy, clean ash removal.’
- ‘This means we only need to empty the ash from the ash pans in the stove 2 or 3 times per year.’
- ‘Heavy duty charcoal racks and slide out ash pans are also standard.’
- ‘Maintenance is a snap with most units providing ash pans for easy ash removal and minimum tools required to remove most interior parts for cleaning or replacement.’
- ‘The Pacific's fireman is dumping a few ashes and making sure that his ash pans are tightly closed while the engineer is oiling the cross head guide bars or the little end of the main rod connection.’
- ‘This pit is used to catch cinders from the locomotives as their ash pans are cleaned before and after service.’
- ‘My two previous stoves had ash pans in their pedestals that never had ash in them.’
- ‘Some pellet stoves have small toaster oven sized ash pans, while the Accentras ash pan will let you burn almost a ton of pellets before you have to empty it.’
- ‘GFF room heaters are equipped with an easy-to-empty ash pan that allows ashes to be removed without compromising the fire.’
ash pan/ˈaSH pan/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.