One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Free from contamination caused by harmful bacteria, viruses, or other microorganisms.
sterile, germ-free, uncontaminated, unpollutedView synonyms
- ‘Sterile packaging has the added unique requirements of allowing sterilization processing, maintaining the sterility of the contents, and opening in such a way to allow for aseptic presentation.’
- ‘Suitable for the production and handling of medical devices under special conditions, an aseptic assembly cell from Ismeca Automation makes use of servomotors for motion control.’
- ‘In 1885 in Kiel, Germany, he constructed a small private hospital that embodied his aseptic design - a five-room operating suite.’
- ‘All surgical procedures were performed under aseptic conditions.’
- ‘To give just one or two instances: the standards lay down that sterilisations must be carried out under aseptic and antiseptic conditions.’
- ‘The antigen for spiking the specimens designated as CA 15-3 and CA 27.29 was derived from a cell line grown by aseptic tissue culture.’
- 1.1attributive (of surgical practice) aiming at the complete exclusion of harmful microorganisms.
- ‘Does this practice violate aseptic technique?’
- ‘The draped table is sterile only at the top surface, according to established and recognized principles of aseptic practice.’
- ‘Intentional disregard of aseptic practices is not acceptable or excusable.’
- ‘Adherence to aseptic practices aids in fulfilling this responsibility.’
- ‘At the core of infection prevention are aseptic practices.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.