One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vitamin found particularly in citrus fruits and green vegetables. It is essential in maintaining healthy connective tissue, and is also thought to act as an antioxidant. Severe deficiency causes scurvy.
A lactone; chemical formula: C₆H₈O₆Also called vitamin C
- ‘Citrus fruits, vinegar, and vitamins such as ascorbic acid or folic acid do not change the acidity of your stomach or your bloodstream.’
- ‘The antioxidant ascorbic acid plays an essential role in defending against oxidant attack in the airways.’
- ‘Such experiments have been described in the literature with various nutrients, including ascorbic acid.’
- ‘Most animals can synthesize this vitamin in the liver, where glucose is converted to ascorbic acid.’
- ‘However, unlike in animals, the biosynthesis of ascorbic acid in plants is only beginning to be unraveled.’
1930s: from a- ‘without’ + medieval Latin scorbutus ‘scurvy’ + -ic.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.