One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fungus whose spores develop within asci. The ascomycetes include most molds, mildews, and yeasts, the fungal component of most lichens, and a few large forms such as morels and truffles.Compare with basidiomycete
- ‘Many ascomycete spores are reported to be allergenic.’
- ‘Interestingly, active members of the pogo family are widely dispersed in ascomycetes, whereas no transposing elements have been found in other organisms.’
- ‘The other groups of ascomycetes are special cases.’
- ‘These ascomycetes are dispersed by wind and rain and invade and kill beech bark only after the scale has successfully become established.’
- ‘Most ascomycetes have only two different mating types, as opposed to certain other fungi, in which many more mating types exist.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin Ascomycetes (former class name), from Greek askos ‘sac’ + mukētes ‘fungi’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.