Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity, causing abdominal swelling.
- ‘With the increase of liver protein synthesis, the liver has a tendency to enlarge causing ascites (abdominal swelling).’
- ‘Patients present with the insidious onset of ascites, abdominal pain, and fever.’
- ‘Patients who have cirrhosis with ascites are prone to spontaneous bacterial peritonitis.’
- ‘Signs and symptoms are primarily those of liver cirrhosis and ascites.’
- ‘The CT scan confirmed my first impression - an ovarian cancer with ascites.’
Late Middle English: via late Latin from Greek askitēs, from askos wineskin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.