The accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity, causing abdominal swelling.
- ‘With the increase of liver protein synthesis, the liver has a tendency to enlarge causing ascites (abdominal swelling).’
- ‘Patients present with the insidious onset of ascites, abdominal pain, and fever.’
- ‘Patients who have cirrhosis with ascites are prone to spontaneous bacterial peritonitis.’
- ‘Signs and symptoms are primarily those of liver cirrhosis and ascites.’
- ‘The CT scan confirmed my first impression - an ovarian cancer with ascites.’
Late Middle English: via late Latin from Greek askitēs, from askos wineskin.