One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Become king or queen.
- ‘On ascending the throne, she quickly captured hearts at home and abroad as she strove to bring the royal family closer to the people.’
- ‘While in the hospital on June 4, she became queen after her husband Gyanendra ascended the throne.’
- ‘When the new king ascended the throne, his subjects were confident the fat times had arrived.’
- ‘The very least he might propose is a referendum to gain the consent of the people before ascending the throne.’
- ‘The title originated in the Tang Dynasty when the emperor, after ascending the throne, would go to the top of Mount Tai to offer a sacrifice to God.’
- ‘Eventually, Gavyn overthrew his sister's rogue government, and ascended the throne together with his Lady Merria.’
- ‘He was a petty thief jailed for 15 years, but released by King Abdullah in a traditional amnesty given when the king ascended the throne.’
- ‘They foretell that the king will ascend the throne!’
- ‘At Stephen's death, Henry ascended the throne as King Henry II.’
- ‘Queen Chasidia herself had just recently ascended the throne, her term starting only a few years ago.’
- ‘He had ascended the throne with the blessing of Russian Emperor Alexander II, but his successor Alexander III felt personal contempt for the Bulgarian prince.’
- ‘Razia Sultana ruled India and was chosen to ascend the throne over her two brothers.’
- ‘Within the span of 20 years, fragmentary records indicate that no less than 18 kings and possibly one queen ascended the throne with nominal control over the country.’
- ‘In 540, King Chinhung ascended the throne when he was still young and so his mother ruled Shilla as regent.’
- ‘Since no king ascended the throne after him, that calendar remained in use as the Yazdgerdi calendar.’
- ‘On Elizabeth's death in 1603, Mary's son James IV, already king of Scotland, ascended the throne of England.’
- ‘In Japan, female members of the first family cannot ascend the throne.’
- ‘Experts believe that his father's position helped him to ascend the throne, since there was no royal blood in his family.’
- ‘He was tutored by Aristotle, and ascended the throne when less than 20 years old.’
- ‘The son of the ruler's sister has ascended the throne for generations to ensure the purity of the line.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.