One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The rocket plant, used in cooking.
- ‘To serve, spoon some chanterelle sauce in the center of the plate and top with some dumplings, arugula, radicchio, and mushrooms.’
- ‘Transfer into the salad bowl, add in the parsley and rucola, sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper, and toss to coat.’
- ‘Garnish with the shoestring potatoes and baby arugula.’
- ‘In addition romaine lettuce, arugula and spinach are valuable.’
- ‘Most tender greens, such as arugula, spinach, watercress, and fresh herbs, need little or no cooking.’
- ‘I offered her a taste of my duck as she offered me a taste of her salmon terrine with arugula on roasted pepper compote, prepared by Chef Bart Goldbert, Executive Chef with the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.’
- ‘The salads - arugula and fennel, field greens with buffalo mozzarella - were brisk, colorful and not overdressed.’
- ‘A Terroni signature salad is the funghi assoluti, a sauté of oyster mushrooms atop arugula seasoned with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.’
- ‘In a large bowl, toss together arugula, radicchio, fennel and walnuts.’
- ‘We chose spinach, mache (also called corn salad), arugula, tatsoi and a few other greens to plant.’
- ‘One week the garbanzo beans are slightly caramelized and sauteed with Serrano ham, onion and arugula; the next week the beans are simply braised with tomato and spices.’
- ‘Cool-season herbs including dill, fennel, parsley, cilantro, oregano, arugula, thyme and savory also can be planted.’
- ‘Use foreign terminology: say arugula and cilantro instead of rocket and coriander.’
- ‘In spring I've used cress (water and field), spinach, and arugula.’
- ‘For the salad, in a medium bowl, combine the anchovy fillets, capers, olives, arugula, chives, peppers, croutons, and olive oil.’
- ‘Black beans, cumin, jalapeño, arugula, and bacon may be the best things that ever happened to a rosemary-braised halibut.’
- ‘Blanch arugula in salted, boiling water until bright green.’
- ‘Also absent from the list of toppings are gorgonzola, feta and blue cheeses, fresh garlic, arugula, zucchini and capers.’
- ‘After the soil warms to 40 degrees, begin planting frost-tolerant greens like arugula, Chinese cabbage, cress, kale, mustard, bok choy and spinach.’
- ‘In this street market, celeriac, parsley root, arugula and frisee were available.’
1970s: from Italian dialect, ultimately a diminutive of Latin eruca ‘down-stemmed plant’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.