One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The person with overall responsibility for the selection and interpretation of the works performed by a theater, ballet, or opera company.
- ‘Over the years, and through five artistic directors, American Ballet Theatre has remained remarkably true to its original identity.’
- ‘The company would be run instead by an administrator and an artistic director.’
- ‘Women film directors, for instance, are as rare as women symphony conductors - and women artistic directors of ballet companies.’
- ‘It shows great self-belief when an artistic director brings his own work to the stage of his new post when in only his second year there.’
- ‘When Neil Murray hatched his plan to run Glasgow's Tron Theatre without an artistic director it was a bit of risk.’
- ‘They want the German capital to be home to a cross-cultural experiment that turns performers into artistic directors, giving them a genuine say in what they do and who they perform with.’
- ‘The RSC is controlled by its artistic director who reports to a board of governors.’
- ‘Would you be interested in becoming the artistic director of a theatre?’
- ‘He is also an associate artistic director of the Alley Theatre in Houston, Texas.’
- ‘She is currently the artistic director for Touchstone Theatre, and a freelance director as well.’
- ‘Credit should go to the new programming triumvirate of executive director Sally Lee and artistic directors Jane Kim and Nobu Adilman for opening up this niche festival.’
- ‘Kinloch, a former artistic director of the Byre Theatre in St Andrews, is thrilled by the standard of work she's been seeing.’
- ‘In Montreal's French-language theatre scene, the school's influence is perhaps felt most strongly through the graduates who have gone on to become artistic directors of theatre companies.’
- ‘As well as admiring the work of artistic director Alan Ayckbourn, Carol found the theatre captured her imagination.’
- ‘Neumeier first started working as the artistic director of Hamburg Ballet.’
- ‘Playwright and actor Chris Craddock is the new artistic director of Azimuth Theatre.’
- ‘She was the artistic director of Soho Poly and Greenwich Theatre.’
- ‘This season he has joined the theatre's team of artistic directors.’
- ‘She has recently been appointed as the first artistic director of the National Theatre of Scotland.’
- ‘Programming control is just one of the many issues over which artistic directors and boards of directors disagree.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.