One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in sports) a carpetlike playing surface used in stadiums instead of natural grass.
- ‘If you want to know what it was like to play on one of the old artificial surfaces, throw down some carpet on the concrete floor in your basement, then play some tackle ball.’
- ‘I've no doubt that these surfaces will continue to improve and eventually there will be an artificial surface which is as good as grass.’
- ‘‘He ran the fastest 40 I've ever seen, on grass or on artificial surface,’ Martz says.’
- ‘It has the dubious distinction of being the first outdoor major league park with a wholly artificial surface, but it went natural in October 2000.’
- ‘To coincide with the opening of the new green next April we will be launching our new website and we will publish details of all the investigations into artificial surfaces.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.