One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in sports) a synthetic playing surface used in stadiums instead of natural grass.
- ‘I've no doubt that these surfaces will continue to improve and eventually there will be an artificial surface which is as good as grass.’
- ‘It has the dubious distinction of being the first outdoor major league park with a wholly artificial surface, but it went natural in October 2000.’
- ‘If you want to know what it was like to play on one of the old artificial surfaces, throw down some carpet on the concrete floor in your basement, then play some tackle ball.’
- ‘To coincide with the opening of the new green next April we will be launching our new website and we will publish details of all the investigations into artificial surfaces.’
- ‘‘He ran the fastest 40 I've ever seen, on grass or on artificial surface,’ Martz says.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.