One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pain in a joint.
- ‘Patients with classical dermatomyositis can also suffer from arthralgia (joint aches) or arthritis (tender, painful swollen joints).’
- ‘The most frequent adverse events reported in clinical trials were back pain, abdominal pain, and arthralgia, according to the manufacturer.’
- ‘A 75-year-old man was admitted for fever, shivering, arthralgia, and chest pain that increased with deep breathing.’
- ‘Patients often complain of bone pain and arthralgia.’
- ‘Arthritis is joint pain with inflammation, whereas arthralgia is joint pain without inflammation.’
- ‘Fever, night sweats, malaise, myalgia, and arthralgia are common in all types of vasculitis.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek arthron ‘joint’ + -algia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.