One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A song written to be sung in recital, typically with piano accompaniment and often set to a poem.
- ‘He ends up, then, with a weird but accessible art song.’
- ‘Mahler, meanwhile, took the art song from the recital venue to the concert hall by replacing the piano accompaniment with orchestra.’
- ‘As an introduction to German art song, I could not think of a better CD in existence.’
- ‘Indeed, the recording contains some of Rorem's most exuberant songs - not surprising, given the 77-year-old's reputation as America's preeminent exponent of the art song.’
- ‘In fact, this concert, co-sponsored by the Vocal Arts Society, was the inauguration of a major project, involving Hampson and his Hampsong Foundation, to revive interest in America's art song.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.