One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A song written to be sung in recital, typically with piano accompaniment and often set to a poem.
- ‘Mahler, meanwhile, took the art song from the recital venue to the concert hall by replacing the piano accompaniment with orchestra.’
- ‘In fact, this concert, co-sponsored by the Vocal Arts Society, was the inauguration of a major project, involving Hampson and his Hampsong Foundation, to revive interest in America's art song.’
- ‘As an introduction to German art song, I could not think of a better CD in existence.’
- ‘Indeed, the recording contains some of Rorem's most exuberant songs - not surprising, given the 77-year-old's reputation as America's preeminent exponent of the art song.’
- ‘He ends up, then, with a weird but accessible art song.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.