One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A movie theater that specializes in films that are artistic or experimental rather than merely entertaining.
- ‘Today he says he would have preferred ‘a European art house film rather than a Hollywood blockbuster’.’
- ‘It's a shame that this film probably won't be exhibited again, even at our art-house cinemas.’
- ‘Gosford Park I saw twice in the same week, once at the multiplex in the northern suburbs and then at an art-house cinema in the inner city.’
- ‘European art-house cinema provided adult themes that seemed genuinely adult.’
- ‘This Christmas, though, you won't have to go to an art house to see a film inspired by disdain for Christmas.’
- ‘The filmmaker was Peter Weir, one of the great art house directors of all time.’
- ‘Since the film's art house release five years ago, and subsequent turns on home video, the joke's been lost on about half the audience.’
- ‘People are beginning to go and see a documentary in the way they would seek out an art-house film.’
- ‘Despite struggling for acceptance, Greenaway eventually went on to become a solitary British icon in the European art house film movement.’
- ‘I was pointing out that those three films were commercial, and not aimed at the art house crowd.’
- ‘Certainly a film for art house audiences, but also a nice first time introduction to Danish cinema that is bold and confident.’
- ‘In art house circles, Fellini is regarded as one of the greats.’
- ‘Part of the scheme includes the art house cinema City Screen which was created from the former newspaper printworks.’
- ‘It's ironic that a motion picture designed as mainstream, commercial entertainment in France will be viewed as an art house film during its American run.’
- ‘We didn't want to make an art house film, we wanted to make something that is fairly commercial.’
- ‘The film can be seen in a lot of independent art-house cinemas and has drawn a good response from audiences, especially in the wake of its awards success.’
- ‘These exciting times arrive just as the Indian film industry itself is changing, with greater interaction between art house films and Bollywood.’
- ‘In England the film was mainly shown in art house cinemas to art house audiences.’
- ‘I wanted more people to hear about the film than the usual art-house channels would allow.’
- ‘The White Balloon is the first Iranian film to get an art-house cinema release in Australia, which is some kind of milestone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.