One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A film that is artistic or experimental in its primary intent.
- ‘The gap between the art film and the X film is impossible to breach.’
- ‘The black-and-white footage, shot with a single silent 16 mm camera and dubbed with weird, repetitive applause tracks, is as surrealistic as a French art film.’
- ‘Elephant is the art film, directed by Gus Van Sant (My Own Private Idaho, Good Will Hunting).’
- ‘This is an entertainment movie, not an art film.’
- ‘That's not the usual audience for an art film, or a film about social issues.’
- ‘The couple, who began working together in more commercial mediums, now focus on the digital interplay of visual and sound mediums and are finishing up their experimental feature-length art film.’
- ‘We're not talking about a drama with some quality comic moments here, we're talking about a film that is one moment a high minded art film and the next a Keystone Kops styled bumbling slapstick, right down to the ramped up camera speeds.’
- ‘If The Fourth Man leaves us steeped in irony, as a properly postmodern parody of an art film should do (and I mean that with all the irony that I can muster), then it also leaves us with a problem.’
- ‘I know, I really should pipe up with how I really wish I were watching some sensitive art film instead, but sometimes this type of film fits my mood.’
- ‘Beatty was determined to make an art film with stars, an art film that would sell tickets.’
- ‘With the opening credits (classical music playing, interweaving scenes from different decades) we know we're in for a mainstream art film.’
- ‘When Shyam asked me to justify my refusal, I told him that an earlier Malayalam art film produced by NFDC never got released, and I was afraid his film would go the same way.’
- ‘The United States of Leland was not intended to be a brooding, alienating, gritty art film.’
- ‘The contributors to the legendary Cahiers du Cinéma, in which cinephilia arguably reached its apotheosis, loved a Hollywood Western just as much as an obscure art film.’
- ‘There may be no explaining or understanding this picture, which seems just as strange now as the day it was released, and is basically a near-abstract art film disguised as a major Hollywood release.’
- ‘Considering the fact that he plunders imagery from such Eighties-era blockbusters as E.T. and Poltergeist, it is surprising to hear Kelly call the project an art film.’
- ‘It's a European art film stuck in the middle of an experimental film festival.’
- ‘This much should be obvious: Tarantino's fourth movie is not an art film, a date film or a cinch to win the Oscar for best picture.’
- ‘If you're in the mood for a good art film, stop at the Harvard Exit Theatre.’
- ‘And sure enough, what began as a gothic techno-thriller became, by the end, a semi-oedipal French art film (with an unusually large budget).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.