One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A poisonous gas smelling slightly of garlic, made by the reaction of some arsenides with acids.
Arsenic trihydride; chemical formula: AsH₃
- ‘Some of the chemicals - including caustic hydrogen fluoride and deadly arsine gas - are toxic, and the fossil fuel consumed contributes to global warming, says Williams.’
- ‘Since the explosion yesterday morning, which jammed a main cargo door shut, gases including hydrogen, phosphine and arsine, a derivative of arsenic, have started venting from the cargo hold.’
- ‘No effects of airborne arsenic, gaseous arsine, and arsenic loading on arsenic levels were observed.’
- ‘The suspected gasses in the SIDS deaths were; arsine from arsenic, phosphine from phosphorus, and stibine from the element antimony.’
- ‘Perhaps arsine is formed through the reactions between element arsenic and cleaning agents used in the cleaning process.’
Late 19th century: from arsenic, on the pattern of amine.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.