Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The action of arraigning someone in court.‘he's scheduled for arraignment in New York on Thursday’‘she pleaded not guilty at her arraignment’
indictment, accusation, denunciation, prosecution, trial, charge, summons, citationView synonyms
- ‘Before the arraignment, Deputy Prosecutor Graham Blewitt spoke of his personal satisfaction in seeing one of the court's major targets brought before it.’
- ‘Court officials said there is a possibility he did not receive a summons and that his arraignment could be rescheduled.’
- ‘He hasn't even faced the formal charges of an arraignment yet.’
- ‘Habay was arraigned on the charges during a preliminary arraignment, where he was not required to enter a plea.’
- ‘Prosecution is a process of investigation, of indictment, arraignment, trial and conviction.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.