One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A child of a career soldier, especially one who has lived in various places as a result of military transfers.
- ‘Being an army brat has its advantages like getting to see the world before your 18th birthday.’
- ‘His daughter flirts outrageously and, for all her army brat bravado, doesn't understand the power of sex.’
- ‘Then again, that's probably part of my military training/programming (did I mention I'm an army brat?’
- ‘Track is one of my favorite sports, but I'm an army brat and I suppose that explains it.’
- ‘Son of Secretary of State Colin Powell, the 38-year-old former army brat is a diehard with a pro-business agenda.’
- ‘Katie and I were army brats, having a father in the military.’
- ‘I'm an army brat, in a way, because my father had ten years in the military.’
- ‘I hear you are an army brat and that it was your mother who inculcated the love of cinema in you.’
- ‘As an army brat myself, I am proud of the achievements of our men and women in the armed services, who have saved us from dire threats to our liberty.’
- ‘They were army brats together before his family settled down and her family followed soon after.’
- ‘For example, Dick Armey grew up in North Dakota, and Newt Gingrich was an army brat who only settled in Cobb County, Georgia, because his research suggested that he might win elections there.’
- ‘Citing such varied examples as Christina Aguilera, Jim Morrison and Homer Simpson, she more than makes her point, but she ultimately hammers it home by adding, ‘George W. Bush was an army brat.’’
- ‘He hated to admit it but since the first day in sixth grade when the army brat had sauntered into class and won over half the class, the half that wasn't with him, he'd always had a thing for her.’
- ‘Auditions were held and Jerry Nolan, an army brat and great musician, was chosen to be the fifth Doll.’
- ‘And on my first voyage to the Far East, in 1923, I met an attractive young lady, a so-called army brat.’
- ‘Power grew up an army brat in St-Hubert on the South Shore until moving at age 12.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.