One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A padded or upholstered arm of a chair or other seat on which a sitter's arm can comfortably rest.
- ‘The centre armrest is attached to the handbrake which is a neat idea and it opens up to reveal storage space for a mobile phone.’
- ‘The Morris chair has padded armrests and detachable cushions on the seat and back.’
- ‘This has caused damage to the landing gear handle, ejection seat headrest, armrests, and other plastic components.’
- ‘Both of her arms were upon the armrests, resting gently, and one leg was lightly crossed over the other at the knee.’
- ‘Anthony tapped his fingers impatiently on the armrests of his chair.’
- ‘The other option is to continue with the route that many airlines have been taking, which is simply to provide electrical outlets in airline seat armrests.’
- ‘The problems encountered include low seating, seats are too soft and the chairs don't have armrests to help people get out of them.’
- ‘Depressing a button on my armrest, I tilted my seat back for a little comfort.’
- ‘Sit straight on a sturdy chair, feet flat on the floor, arms resting on the armrests.’
- ‘He sat down on a chair next to her, rested his arms on the armrests and looked at her with interest.’
- ‘The centre rear seat can also be folded down and turned into an armrest with two integrated cup holders.’
- ‘I pushed the armrests of three chairs up and lay down across them.’
- ‘The armrests of the witness chair were smeared black from the sweat of those who had come before.’
- ‘He leaned the chair back again, elbows resting on the armrests.’
- ‘Jack's eyes caught a glimpse of Rose's hand that had rested on the armrest of her chair.’
- ‘Charlie shifted in her seat and rapped her fingers nervously on the armrest of her chair.’
- ‘When the professor showed up at the podium, Aidis grabbed onto his chair's armrests to keep himself from leaping for the door.’
- ‘I looked down and silently traced the flower pattern on the armrest of the chair with the tip of my finger.’
- ‘The front seats provide height adjusters as well as lumbar support and armrests on both sides.’
- ‘Magnus rested his hands loosely on the armrests of his seat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.